Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tea for Twelve

I recently had my 21st birthday, and wanted to do something a wee bit out of the ordinary with just my closest friends. I pondered the many possibilities until it came to me, the perfect idea- a Birthday Tea Party!

I invited about 20 friends expecting that about half of those people would be able to make it, however the final number was eventually a nice neat twelve! 
Being a student, funds were an issue, so I had to think creatively to bring my vision to life. I originally wanted to hire beautiful china for everyone to drink their bubbly from, matching vases and a jug for lemonade, and cupcakes made professionally from a cupcake boutique which would sit on a gorgeous cupcake stand... but INSTEAD, fearing breakages of the china, I just brought two sets of six plain glasses for half price (bargain! which looked amazing with the light pink bubbly inside. I also just used an assortment of vessels from my flat, including a teapot, a blue jug, and two vases generously lent by flatmates to hold the beautiful roses in- they looked really sweet, and it kind of added to the charm that they were mismatched. Instead of buying cupcakes, I decided to hand-make them. My friends brought me various cupcake decorating equipment for my birthday, which was very handy in the decorating stage (the best bit!) However, I did splurge and buy a cupcake stand and they looked GORGEOUS all set up on the day!
I also handmade the snacks with the help of the wonderful Miss Scarlett Moody. They included scrumptious delights such as caramel slice, yo yoes, salmon treats (salmon and cream cheese on French bread), crackers, carrots and chips with dips and hummus, and a rather disastrous coconut ice. 
One of my favourite features on the table were the goodie bags from kikki.K which I filled with lollies and fastened with mini wooden pegs (also from kikki.K) and used as place settings- cute!!
To top it all off, the day was amazing, the sun was shining, and everything went without a hitch! My idea of a perfect party!

No comments:

Post a Comment